Good day Seaweed Lovers!
We’ve got the tide book out and planning the year’s seaweed harvests! Yes, it is early, but we only harvest from April through the end of July with 40 possible harvest dates…
Seaweed foraging classes are right around the corner and we want to invite folks to come out and harvest with Ocean Harvest in a different way this year. Since our foraging classes are always in high demand, we want to offer more opportunities in a low-key fashion this year at a lower price. (We will also appreciate the help with getting our heavy backpacks back to the vehicle!)
For the months of May, June and July, we would like to invite you to choose a harvesting date and accompany us on a harvest so you get the opportunity to forage in a mindful and responsible way alongside us as we harvest. We want everyone to enjoy the time and immerse themselves in the seaweeds, ocean and low tide beauty and especially to become stewards of the special places we harvest. It is always with great honor and privilege that we harvest wild seaweeds and that we can share this time and place with you!
Sign up on our website at this link. Choose a date and time that works for you. Please check your calendar twice, as we are unable to issue refunds. Foraging will be between 2-3 hours total. We are limiting each trip to 5-6 people, so we can keep it low key and respect the environment, as well as the indigenous ecologists who share these spaces with us.
What you will learn:
- Seaweed identification
- Local seaweed history and songs we sing to the ocean
- How tides work, how to interactwith them and identify foraging times/days
- Nutritional values of different seaweeds
- How to dry your own seaweeds
What you will take away:
- Your own harvested seaweeds
- Seaweed snacks and how to make them
- Recipes using seaweeds
What you need to bring with you:
- Bags to put your seaweeds in
- A cooler to keep seaweeds cool until you can dry them
- Water boots/shoes with good tread that can get wet
- Change of socks/shoes/pants and a towel for drying off
- Warm jacket and hat. Dress in layers